New to importing? Use a preset file template to make it easy! WSM has a wide variety of template import files that are ready to use and have a matching profile in your WSM Data > CSV Profiles. It is important to understand the fields that you are trying to import into & the data that is required for the file, but these preset files will greatly help you get a jump start on importing.
Contents (use this on informational articles with 3 or more headings.)
The above video details importing using the Minimal Product File & Profile. While the detailed steps of each file will differ, the general concepts will be similar regardless of the file that you are using.
Using Preset File Templates
To assist you in a speedy import process, the WSM team has developed Preset Files for nearly every import model. These files match perfectly with CSV Profiles that are available for you to use. The most important element of the preset files is that the column headings (Row 1) will import seamlessly if you use the matching CSV profile. As you may recall from the Importing Basics page, CSV Profiles are spelling, case, and space sensitive. Therefore, it is important to not change the headings of the available Preset Files.
Available Excel Files
Below is a list of the preset Excel files and Global CSV Profiles that are currently available to use. The Preset Import Type column identifies the type of import model that you may be looking for. The Preset File column includes a 'Download File' link. When you click on the link, a file is available for download. Depending on your web browser this could happen automatically or ask you to approve the download. The Preset Global CSV Profile column identifies which Global CSV Profile within WSM matches the Preset File that you just downloaded. The next section of this page will detail what to do with the correct Global CSV Profile. Lastly, in the Information For Populating File column there are very useful links that will take you to a page within WSMU that outlines how to fill out the Preset File with your data.
|Preset Import Type||Preset File||Preset Global CSV Profile ||Information For Populating File |
|Minimal Product Import||Download File || 973 WSM (COPY ONLY) 1- Minimal Import||Product Fields|
|This is the file that you would use if you are simply trying to get products added to your site quickly. This file will allow your products to be eligible for Google shopping, and will display well to customers, but does not use fields that are commonly needed such as Sale Price, Weight, and Extended Description. |
|Best Practice Product Import ||Download File|| 972 WSM (COPY ONLY) 2- Best Practice Import||Product Fields|
|This file has fields that will allow you to create products that includes data to establish a great product that will work well with your shipping methods as well as information needed for a product that will rank well with search engines. Sites that need more control of shipping on a product level, availability status, and attachments should use this file. |
|Advanced Product Import||Download File|| 214 WSM (COPY ONLY) 3- Advanced Import||Product Fields|
|This file has nearly every field that is available on the product page. Sites that need more control of shipping on a product level, availability status, and attachments should use this file.|
|YMM Attribute Import||Download File|| 809 WSM (COPY ONLY) Product Attributes Import||Attribute Fields|
|Importing attributes has to occur after products are added to your site. This file will assist you with importing Year, Make, Model data. |
|Customer Import||Download File|| 1052 WSM (COPY ONLY) Global Customer Import ||Customer Fields|
|This file will allow you to import customer information. This file is typically used when sites are first being developed. After sites are live customers typically add themselves upon checking out. |
|Re-Directs Import||Download File|| 756 WSM (COPY ONLY) Global Redirects Import||Re-Direct Fields|
|This file will allow you to import a long list of re-directs into your site. This is typically used for websites that are being re-designed in WSM as the URLs from their current website will change. |
|Event Import||Download File|| 1514 WSM (COPY ONLY) Global Event Import||Event Fields |
|This file will allow you to import events to your calendar module.|
|Locations Import||Download File|| 975 WSM (COPY ONLY) Global Locations||Locations Fields|
This file will allow you to import locations to your Locator, if available on your site.
|Resource Import||Download File|| Coming Soon||Resource Fields|
|Tiered Pricing Import||Download File|| 906 WSM (COPY ONLY) Global Tiered Pricing Import||Tiered Pricing Fields |
|Importing tiered pricing has to occur after products are added to our site. This file will assit you with importing different pricing available for different Customer Groups. |
|Category Import||Download File|| 1515 WSM (COPY ONLY) Global Category Import||Category Fields|
|This will allow you to create or update your categories with much detail, such as the parent-child relationship, image, description, and more. You could use the Category Tree column within the Product Files instead to create your Categories, but no additional details beyond Category Name can be added.|
|Brand Import||Download File|| Coming Soon||Brand Fields|
|News Article Import||Download File|| Coming Soon ||News Article Fields|
|News Topic Import||Download File|| || |
Prepping Your File for Import
Now that you have selected what file you would like to work on here are the steps in prepping your file to be ready to import.
- Download the file from the above table
- Open the file with Excel
- Fill out all required columns with data (please review the Information For Populating File column above for help completing your file)
- If you choose to not fill out non-required columns, Do Not delete the columns from your file
- Save your file as a CSV (Comma Delimited) file. Depending on the version of Excel your are working with you may need to first select "Other Formats" and then select CSV (Comma Delimited)
- Download a second copy of the file from the above table
- Open the file with excel
- Toggle back to the completed file and select the most complex row of data and paste it in the newly opened blank file. For more tips on best practices for testing, please review the link provided in the Information For Populating File column above.
- Save your TEST file as a CSV (Comma Delimited) file. Depending on the version of Excel your are working with you may need to first select "Other Formats" and then select CSV (Comma Delimited)
You will now have two files saved, (1) Your completed file and (2) Your test file. The next step will be to prep the Global Profile so that you can import into it.
Prepping A Global Profile
A Global Profile is preset in WSM and is only to be used for exporting or COPYING to create your own unique import profile. Global Profiles are identified in the CSV Profiles list by the orange circle with a white exclamation point. The above table outlines which CSV Global Profile that matches the type of data that you are trying to import. Below are the steps for copying a Global Profile and prepping it for importing...
- Log into WSM
- Hover over Data then click on CSV Profiles
- Identify the Global Profile that you wish to copy (see table below)
- Click on the 'Copy' icon
- Click OK to confirm that you want to copy
- Find the new profile with the name starting 'Copy of' and Click on the Edit icon
- Edit the Title of the Profile to whatever you would like. It is best to name it the type of data you are trying to import such as, Products, Categories, etc followed by the word Import.
- Do not edit other fields present on the Edit Profile screen
- Click the Save Changes button
Importing to A 'Copied' Global Profile
In case you skipped the above section, DO NOT import using a Global Profile prior to Copying it, please see above instructions.
- Log into WSM
- Hover over Data then click on CSV Profiles
- Identify the Profile that you wish to use
- Click on the blue folder icon for Fields
- Count the number of "Column" fields that are in your profile
- Open the CSV File that you have completed and count the number of columns that have data. If your count matches the above count, proceed to the next step.
- From this screen or from the CSV Profiles screen, click Run Import or Import respectively
- Click the Choose File button, Browse and double click or select and Click Open on your Test CSV file
- Ignore the Force & Delete options on all files except YMM Attributes
- Click the Run Import button, see Troubleshooting Errors if one occurs. If not, proceed to the next step.
- View what you imported in both the front-end and back-end of WSM. If everything is as you expected, repeat the import steps with your Full CSV File.
- Spot-check a few items when finished on both the back-end and front end of the site
Going Beyond The Preset Files
The preset files and profiles are here to help you get started with importing. Most clients find that these files are exactly what they need for basic importing. If you are looking to do some more advanced importing, first start with the Creating Custom Files & Profiles page to learn how to create matching files and profiles. Then continue on to our Import Models section to learn about all the possible fields available for each model. Finally, you can visit our Advanced Importing section to learn how to create data using expressions and other advanced techniques.